EAM Hospital Maternity Care Awards
Michigan hospitals awarded for excellence and improvement in maternity care
Annually, the Economic Alliance for Michigan (EAM), a nonprofit group comprised of some of the state’s largest employers and unions, awards hospitals throughout Michigan that demonstrate excellence and improvement in maternity care and delivery outcomes.
For the award, hospitals were evaluated in four areas: cesarean rates (≤ 26.3% of low-risk deliveries), episiotomy rates (≤ 5% of deliveries), elective early delivery rates (≤ 5% of deliveries), and maternity care processes (90% or greater). The data is from The Leapfrog Group, a Washington, D.C. based organization aiming to improve health care quality and safety for consumers and purchasers.
To be awarded the Excellence Award, hospitals need to fully meet the standard in all four areas in the same calendar year. Recipients of the 2022 Maternity Care Excellence Award are:
- Ascension Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo
- Ascension St. Joseph Hospital in Tawas City
- McLaren Bay Region Hospital in Bay City
- Munson Healthcare Otsego Memorial in Gaylord
- Munson Medical Center in Traverse City
- MyMichigan Medical Center Sault in St. Sault Marie
- Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial in Fremont
- Spectrum Health Lakeland in Niles
- Spectrum Health Lakeland in St. Joseph
- Spectrum Health Pennock in Hastings
- Spectrum Health United Hospital in Greenville
- Spectrum Health Zeeland Community Hospital in Zeeland
- Trinity Health Saint Mary’s in Grand Rapids
For the Improvement Award, hospitals must have demonstrated rate decreases in cesarean rates, episiotomy, and elective early delivery over a two-year period, and must now fully meet the standard for unnecessary cesarean delivery rates. The recipient of the 2022 Maternity Care Improvement Award is:
- ProMedica Monroe Regional Hospital in Monroe
- Trinity Health Oakland Hospital in Pontiac
- Trinity Health Livonia Hospital in Livonia
The Maternity Care Project also provides details for birthing centers in Michigan, providing parents-to-be invaluable information in making a choice for hospital maternity care. To compare birthing centers and learn more about the project go to Birthing Center Safety Ratings for more details.