EAM Hospital Maternity Care Awards
Michigan hospitals awarded for excellence and improvement in maternity care
Annually, on Mother’s Day, the Economic Alliance for Michigan (EAM), a nonprofit group comprised of some of the state’s largest employers and unions, awards hospitals throughout Michigan that demonstrate excellence and improvement in maternity care and delivery outcomes.
For the award, hospitals were evaluated in four areas: cesarean rates (≤ 29.3% of low-risk deliveries), episiotomy rates (≤ 5% of deliveries), elective early delivery rates (≤ 5% of deliveries), and maternity care processes (90% or greater). The data is from The Leapfrog Group, a Washington, D.C. based organization aiming to improve health care quality and safety for consumers and purchasers.
To be awarded the Excellence Award, hospitals need to fully meet the standard in all four areas in the same calendar year. Recipients of the 2021 Maternity Care Excellence Award are:
• Ascension Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo
• Ascension River District in East China
• Bronson Hospital in Battle Creek
• Bronson Methodist in Kalamazoo
• Dickinson County Health System in Iron Mountain
• Henry Ford Allegiance Health in Jackson
• Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit
• McLaren Bay Region in Bay City
• Memorial Healthcare in Owosso
• Mercy Health Saint Mary’s in Grand Rapids
• Munson Medical Center in Traverse City
• Spectrum Health Butterworth in Grand Rapids
• Spectrum Health Gerber Memorial in Fremont
• Spectrum Health Lakeland in Niles
• Spectrum Health Pennock in Hastings
• Spectrum Health United Hospital in Greenville
For the Improvement Award, hospitals must have demonstrated rate decreases in cesarean rates, episiotomy, and elective early delivery over a two-year period, and must now fully meet the standard for cesarean delivery rates. The recipient of the 2021 Maternity Care Improvement Award is:
• Munson Healthcare in Grayling
The Maternity Care Project also provides details for birthing centers in Michigan, providing parents-to-be invaluable information in making a choice for hospital maternity care. To compare birthing centers and learn more about the project go to Birthing Center Safety Ratings for more details.